Saturday, November 5, 2011

Back to the Blog!

It has been too long! My last post was more than a year ago, written in Baltimore as we were only partway into my husband's chemo and radiation for throat cancer. Now, 15 months later, he is feeling healthy again, enjoying retirement, and appreciating NOT being in Baltimore at the mercy of the radiation and chemo teams. Their care was extraordinary, and we can now turn our attention to exploring our 'new normal'.

His is newer than mine... He is now retired, and busy putting the cottage and our main home to bed for the winter. Once that is done, it's time to figure out what will occupy his days while I spend the bulk of mine back in the studio. Writing is one option.

My new normal will involve keeping my mind on glass when I know there is someone retired down the street, who could play hooky with me at the drop of a hat. A quick jaunt to our favorite consignment shop or a drive to see the ocean are enough to distract me from the creative play I am now eager to enjoy. But we have both learned, it's all a balancing act.

I am back to teaching, which makes me so happy. I've missed the inspiration my students bring me, and the very act of preparing for a class keeps me on my toes. I have new venues to round out this year and begin the next, and a return to Penland School is planned for July.

As you can see in the photo, the birdhouses behind my studio are all vacant now, the kayaks and sailboats are put away, and it's a good time to turn that torch back on and warm up inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment