Friday, February 20, 2009

Signs of Spring

Spring can be very long in coming, here in New England, and by February I'm pining for open windows and bird songs. Any change for the positive in the view from the studio reminds me that I won't be sentenced to 365 days of below freezing temperatures. So yesterday, when I stood at the slider and looked at the river, the sign of receding ice was exciting! We've been deprived of our view of an animated river for several months now, and the static ice, with few waterfowl paying a visit, reminds me how lucky I am most of the year. It was fun yesterday to see the ice reduced to a thin covering that was moving to the south by several yards as the hours ticked by. The geese enjoyed taking turns floating in the water or roosting on the floe.

The birds are pairing up, too, a sure sign of spring to come! We've had a pair of swans down by our house, as well as the omnipresent geese, now finding their partners. By last night, we saw a double date out our back window:

After having a 2 1/2 week break from the studio, it's hard to get back into the rhythm of production, especially with the distractions out of the window. Maybe this familiar outdoor cycle will remind me that the spring shows are on their way and I can't be caught daydreaming much longer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment